All of the UK’s major supermarkets have now stopped selling disposable barbecues because of safety fears during the heatwave.
Asda and Lidl join Aldi, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, Co-op, Waitrose and Marks & Spencer to temporarily remove the product from sale.
The ban comes after concerns that disposable barbecues could start wildfires after the long spell of dry weather, with a drought being declared in eight areas of England earlier this week.
A Tesco spokesman previously said: “In light of the ongoing heatwave and dry conditions, we’ve now made the decision to temporarily pause the sale of disposable barbecues across the UK.
“We know these products are popular with our customers and they’ll be back on shelves once the weather conditions make it safe to do so.”
Morrisons and Co-op initially limited the sale of disposable barbecues from its outlets in areas one mile from National Parks.
But both have now moved to a national ban and have removed the products from all stores until further notice.
While no date has been specified, it is understood that disposable barbecues may be back on sale after the heatwave is declared over.
The ban comes as experts warn of wildfires due to the drought.
Met Office meteorologist Dan Stroud said that the weather will continue to be dry across the south.
“For the rest of the weekend, across the south, there will be a continuation of the very dry and hot conditions,” he said.
“We’re looking at temperatures, for the remainder of Saturday, of up to 34C or 35C across the south, feeling a little bit fresher across the north, but temperatures up there still well above where they should be for the time of year.
“As we move into, into Sunday, a slight change with low pressure starting to arrive from the south.
“There is an increasing risk of some isolated showers across Devon and Cornwall, very early on Sunday.
“Most places still generally dry and fine, with some strong August sunshine, with those temperatures rising rapidly during the course of Sunday morning and into the afternoon.”
He added that there was still a risk of more wildfires.
“It has been extremely dry for an extended period and the ground and vegetation has been baked dry, so there is a significant risk.”
An official drought was declared in eight areas of England on Friday by the National Drought Group (NDG), which comprises representatives from the Government, water companies, the Environment Agency (EA) and others.